Sunday, November 9, 2014

6 Things Every Makeup Artist Wishes You Knew

Hello gorgeous

Working as a makeup artist is fun and also a creative job. But there are few things that clients do that kinda get under some (or should I say, most) makeup artists nerves. Let's see what important 6 things that we (makeup artist) wish you all knew.



1. Do my makeup for free
As much as we would want to do your makeup for free, we can't, even friends. Believe it or not, we would like to do your makeup for free. Why? Because we love doing what we do and that is why we pursued this career. Then why can't we do it for free? We've invested a lot of money. We BUY our makeup (they are not cheap, honey)(we don't buy like few only, we buy TONS of makeup like all shades of eyeshadows, foundations, blushers, lipsticks etc) and we PAY makeup academy to learn professional makeup and get certified. We don't get them all for free.



2. I know "someone else" can do it much cheaper
Yes, we all know "someone else" do makeup service with much cheaper price. If you are happy enough to take risk with cheap "someone else", then go for it. Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Just please, don't use it as a cheap bargaining ploy when you are talking to a professional.



3. I don't like how "she/he" did my makeup
I learned this when I was working in bridal studio and another one when I work for a client who's attending a special event, clients told me she hated how "she" (another makeup artist) did her makeup. After I finished their makeup, I thought to myself, if this situation ever happened to me, I wish my client would tell me honestly if there is anything want to change about the application,just kindly say so. You can say something like, "Do you think you can make my eyeliner a bit thicker?" Don't be afraid to tell or ask.



4. I want discount, more discount!
Discount is okay. But please keep in mind that there is always a limit. More discount? Please refer back to no.1

 

5. Make my skin silky smooth
We can cover your redness, but there is nothing we can do about skin texture or dullness of your skin (except you already have perfect skin). It really bums me out that a number of clients who ask if I can cover up their puffiness or unhappy with their application cause they still can see the texture of their raised blemishes underneath their foundation. If there was only one thing you must know about makeup, it would be this one. We are not magician, we can't miraculously snap our fingers and change the texture of your skin. Think about painting a wall. Painting a wall doesn't change/remove the texture, right?  But don't worry, you still look beautiful despite a little breakout or puffiness.



6. Let me check my messages
I believe all makeup artists find it soooo frustrating when trying to do a precise eye makeup application, especially eyeliner when client picks up her phone and start texting away. Please, just stay off your phone. You can do that after the eye makeup application is done. In fact, it is best to have a little quite time while makeup artist is doing anything around eyes and mouth. We would really appreciate it :)

*BONUS*
7. "You look short, are you sure you are a professional makeup artist" Eye-look (scanning you from head to toe)
Okay, this might not all makeup artist. But as for me, I often get this ALL-THE-TIME, like 98% as I am really short *sad* Come on people, a person's knowledge does not imply on their height.

So, have you find out anything you do might make you one of "those" client? Haha!
I hope you enjoy reading this post and have a great day!


xoxo,
Berry

1 comment:

  1. http://thoughtcatalog.com/ira-pablo/2014/07/5-things-every-makeup-artist-wishes-everyone-knew/

    so i guess you are too lazy to write an article yourself and pretty much copied and pasted from another blogger?

    ReplyDelete